Monday, January 25, 2010

Saints and Sinners

Everyone knows that the Saints squeaked out a victory last night over the Vikings, so I will spare the details.  I went down to Esplanade to watch the game with some friends then we migrated over to Bourbon Street - which was an absolute sh*t-show.  I have never been in a city before where the people are so eager to form into mobs of complete tom-foolery.  Expecting such a scene, I did not take my camera with me for fear of damaging/losing it - which was probably a good idea.

Two quick stories from the post-game bedlam:

1.
We were standing maybe 10 feet off Bourbon on a side street when a scuffle broke out.  The cops instantly descended on the ruckus-makers, threw them to the ground, and cuffed them.  After the troublesome pair were put back on their feet and the cops were deciding what to do with them, one of the dude's girlfriend walked up to him and pretended to talk to and hug him.  She proceeded to reach into his pocket, pull out a nice little baggie of drugs, pop it into her mouth, and swallow.  I couldn't see what was in the bag, but a friend said that it was white - aka cocaine.

Is saving your boyfriend from a little jail time worth the risk of that bag exploding and you dying from an overdose?  It sure is hard for some guy to love you when you're dead.

2.
After the game, I was pretty euphoric from the overtime victory so I was screaming and banging on cars etc.  One car drove past, and I thought that it was a good idea to keep up the revelry so I banged on that sucker.  Turns out it was a N.O.P.D. squad car.

Oops.

Cop hits the brakes, gets out of the car, and looks at me.

Cop: "Is there something you need from me?" (with a tone of anger, condescension, and wrath)
Me: "Ummm.  I apologize.  I'm just really excited about the win."
Cop: (gives the me death stare, then gets back in the car)
Me: "That's right, pig.  You're lucky I didn't pull out my 9 and put a cap in your ass!"

- Editor's Note: That last part is a lie.  I actually just stood there scared out of my mind, and let out a huge sigh of relief when he drove off -

Laissez les bon temps rouler.

No comments:

Post a Comment