Wednesday, January 20, 2010

ESPN - Soul of the City

"The most important word in the English language is home."

This morning I was coming home from a quick trip to the store and I saw a TV crew right in front of my house.  I introduced myself, offered my plugs to power their film equipment, and met the ESPN crew filming a spot about New Orleans that will be aired this Sunday morning on NFL Countdown.  Based on the article written by Wright Thompson, the piece is entitled "Soul of the City" and will center around interviews with various locals including Chris Rose, a journalist for the Times-Picayune who lives a couple of houses down my street.



The crew was set up in the cemetery directly across the street from my house, and the interview dealt primarily with the role that the Saints play as the life-blood of this city.  Mr. Rose, who was part of the Picayune's Pulitzer winning staff during Katrina, summed up New Orleans when he explained that despite pop culture's emphasis to the contrary, the most important four letter word in our language is not "love" but "home."  He spoke of how the Saints were the first harbinger of this city's renewal after the storm.  Regardless of the derision about how New Orleans should be abandoned, this city has not and will not ever fade away - if only because the people who call NOLA home refuse to allow that to happen.


 


Laissez les bon temps rouler.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Ashton, these are some nice pictures, but I just thought you should know that some of them don't have any colors! Maybe something is wrong with your camera or your internet!

    K thnx bye.

    --Not Kevin

    ReplyDelete